To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. – 1Pet. 2:4-5 KJV
Please click the link above to download the full text of this Ministration.
Today’s devotional continues with the attempt of Simon Peter the disciple to make the Christian see that the Almighty God and his Christ deserve all the faith that can be put into them rather than attempting to put them to shame by baulking under trials and temptations of this world. With all that he has enabled the Christian with, through the death of His son on the cross and making available the Holy Spirit to all who desire it, he sees no reason why Christians cannot choose to withstand the challenges that the devil places before them, so that the reward of the crown of life can be received.
He encouraged Christians further by reminding them that Jesus Christ himself was rejected by men but he persevered through it and because he successfully did this, he was rewarded by his father with a name that is above all names – Phil. 2:9-11. Likewise today’s Christian must not see rejection by men as anything strange but instead should focus on the divine works of the Almighty God in their lives. His divine intention to bring them from the fallen state of sinners to the lofty heights of heirs to His kingdom. Christians should see themselves from the perspective of the Almighty God as follows:
- They are a precious living stone. In truth, many stones exist in life but for although they are all called stones, value is placed on some over the other for several reasons. Some are so precious that they are used to even beautify royalties. Their value is such that the ordinary folks in the world cannot afford them. The description of the Christian as precious stones by the Almighty God should let the Christian know the value that He places on their souls and the need for them not to cheapen their value by selling out to the deceitful plans of the devil. Although stones generally are not living, these set of precious stones have lives that need to be preserved and in the hand of someone who does not value them, that life will be lost. If only for the reason of recognising the one that esteems the Christian, it should be sufficient to appreciate such in return.
- They are the chosen of the Almighty God. This no doubt is a privileged position that only few are entitled to. They are not chosen to be negative tools like Judas whom he probably destined to be a betrayer or Pharaoh whom he definitely destined to be an example of what happens to someone who constitutes an obstacle to His being worshipped by hardening his heart.
- They are being built up into what will become a spiritual house. The process of building no doubt takes up lots of resources. Time, energy, human and material resources are expended in a logical order in order to achieve the dream of the builder. Whatever the Christian is today is the product of the dream of the Almighty God to restore man to his Garden of Eden state. His plan to bring man to an expected end is pretty obvious. It is to make man a spiritual entity that will not only be strong enough to withstand the pranks of the devil but to also qualify to be accepted into His kingdom on the last day. That definitely is not the plan of the devil for man. The devil’s plan is to steal, kill and destroy. Steal because he never created a soul and so every soul with him now was never his own. He did not acquire them because he loved them but because he is in a personality tussle with the Almighty God. He does not even have the resources to take care of himself and all he does is to continue to recycle a single gift in a manner that seems like it is plenty and can go round. He simply is not that positioned. And of course the end result of all the devil does is to increase the population in hell by enticing the Christian with things that will not last. God in invested in you so you will turn out to be a beautiful bride on that day and you will have access to everlasting life.
- They are being built into becoming a holy priesthood. God’s priests have a single duty, which is to offer sacrifices either on behalf of themselves or others. The Christian being the product of the handiwork of the Most High has similar roles except that the sacrifice He demands of them is the Sacrifice of their lips. He desires that the Christian in appreciation will continue to Praise Him, not only for all that He the Almighty God has invested in him/her, but for all his seen and unseen works – Psa. 107:15-16; Psa. 19:1.
- The objective of God’s investment in them is that they should offer sacrifices acceptable to Him through Christ Jesus. The Christian may be offering all that the Lord is asking for in terms of sacrifice but the Almighty God is interested only in those sacrifices offered in the name of Jesus Christ. It is through him only that such sacrifices will be accepted.
With the massive investment of the Almighty God in the life of man, His objectives and His requests are simply not too much to demand from man except again, if man wants to be ungrateful.
The Christian must remember that the devil did not create any soul and so does not deserve to have any soul for himself. He himself is a creation of this same god that is in reference and, but for his rebellious attitude that led to his downfall, he also had a duty to deliver on the expectations of the Lord with regards to His demand for praise. Unwillingness to do so is what dropped him to the level that he has found himself in today – Isa. 14:12-15. Do not allow him to suck you into his rebellion by refusing to grant the Almighty God His request, that you remain faithful to Him in the face of trials and temptations. Resolve to make Him delight in your faith in Him, just like the three Hebrews did before Nebuchadnezzar – Dan. 3:18. He is indeed building you up for his purpose. Persevere through the challenges of life so he too can be rewarded of His investment in you. May God put us all in a position to make him receive the reward of His investment in us all in Jesus name. Amen.