And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him. – Gen. 18:10 KJV
Please click the link above to download the full text of this Ministration.
The Almighty God had sent three angels to the city of Sodom and Gomorrah to do an assessment of the complaints he had received about the conduct of its residents. The angels were to confirm whether all the allegations made against the people were true and they had the authorisation to implement whatever judgement they found necessary – Gen. 18:20-21. Abraham who had been relaxing under the Mamre trees at the entrance of his tent saw them passing and decided to invite them in, insisting that they allow him host them – Gen. 18:1-5. With the angels agreeing to his request, he quickly arranged with his wife, and selecting a choice calf from the herd, they were hosted to a sumptuous meal. It was while they were eating that they probably got the inspiration of what the Lord was about to do for Abram and his wife, and this they revealed to Abraham – Gen. 18:6-9. He was going to achieve his long term desire of having a child of his own through Sarah, his wife. This was a request they both had been making to the Almighty God in their almost 75 years of marriage and it was not granted. They both must have concluded, albeit in their heart that the only reason why the angels must be saying this must be because they got carried away by the delicious meal that they had just been offered. Sarah, did not just see the funny part of this revelation but actually laughed in derision. These guys must have been really hungry, she probably thought.
The following facts were made obvious in that event;
1. The seventy- five year wait of Abraham and his wife finally came to an end with this incidence which became the final acts of Abraham and his wife, that activated the response of God regarding their long standing request and his earlier promise to them that He will bless them with their own child – Gen. 17:16-21. Caring for strangers had eventually become the key that opened the final lock, to achieving their long term desire. Most Christians today have allowed the delay in receiving a favourable response or any response at all, to their request, to dampen their enthusiasm towards fellow men. They are cold and sometimes hostile towards fellow men in a manner that seems they are taking their anger out on them. In the process, destiny helpers are lost as God will still need to use human beings in whatever way, to grant whatever request is made to Him. Do not be a victim of your own hostlity. For whatever reason, do not pour out your frustration on people as non granting of a particular request should not be the reason why all other doors will be shut against you, due to bad human relationships. Never stop doing good when you are in a position to do so as you will never know which one will open the next door of breakthrough – Gal. 6:9. The caring may not be the reason for the granting of the request but it sure reminded God of his promise to them.
2. Never write yourself off. If God has not written you off, no one, you inclusive should write you off. Abraham’s conclusion about himself was revealed when in his response to the Lord, he had pleaded that all the promise of God for him should manifest in the life of the son of his slave girl since according to him, he and his wife were too old to have babies of their own. The lord made him realise that he is not done with him yet so he cannot declare that he is done – Gen. 17:16-21. You are only done when He is done.
3. Abraham despite a long standing but unanswered request retained his spirituality which enabled him to differentiate the angels from ordinary human beings. Your waiting time should never discourage your enthusiasm for spiritual development and growth. Life did not start and will not end with that delayed or unanswered request. There are so many things to achieve in this single life that you have, and you cannot destroy all those potential achievements with the non-achievement or delay in the manifestation of one. All these other achievements still require some spirituality to achieve them, more so the waiting time will be better managed when you are more spiritual. Joseph was able to receive a favourable response tonhis request for divine liberation, support and dream realisation, to overcome his life challenges because he retained his spirituality – Gen. 40:1 – 41:57.
4. Abraham did not host the angels because of any hidden interest as it was obvious that it was natural for him to be nice to people especially people of God. Do not do your good deeds simply because you expect a reward from men – Matt. 6:1-6. Do them because that is what your creator expects of you in that situation. Many today are frustrated because their so called good deeds were done with an expectation of a reward from men. God it is that rewards as men are mostly ingrates in their actions, not just towards fellow men but also towards their creator – Lk. 17:11-19. Always do the good deeds because your creator has directed you to do so in that situation and He will surely reward you as He never owes anyone anything.
5. Abraham and Eve still retained family unity and understanding despite the challenge of not having a child that they had. The unity between Abraham and Sarah his wife was very obvious and this aided the perfection of the good deed that they both did. Disagreement by either party will definitely have created an obstacle or complete nullification of the reward. A delayed request should never be a reason for family disunity or destabilization. There are more things that can and should unite a family and those positives should be focused on. Money, fruits of the womb or other worldly acquisitions should never be the foundation of any family unity as these are not strong enough components that can bear the weight of family tension and stress that will build over time. Build your relationships on a more solid ground – Matt. 7:24-27. Build it on Jesus Christ. Have faith in the Word of God for your life (Psa. 119:105) and no matter the turbulence, you will overcome in Jesus name. Amen.
Christians must never lose hope waiting on the Lord. The truth is that he is never late and will always do what He says He will do. Avoid basing your relationships with him on the expectation that He will give you all those material desires – Rom. 14:17. That will be a wrong foundation that has only one result which is frustration. You can only be sure that your relationship with Him will forever, save you from shame and disgrace and any other addition will be an extra that will be given for the achievement of divine purposes associated with your Call. Believe in him for what He has promised you and, to do so, is to have conferred righteousness – Gen. 15:6. How we conduct ourselves during that waiting time is what will eventually decide how much we can enjoy the promise when it manifests – Num. 11:33. May our belief in Him remain firm and strong throughout out life time in Jesus name. Amen.