There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. – Prov. 6:16-19 NIV
Please click the link above to download the full text of this Ministration.
The Bible says that two cannot walk together if they do not agree – Amos 3:3. That does not apply only to human relationships but also relationships between the Almighty God and man. To agree in this instance will mean that each is comfortable with what the other person’s conduct or personality is. No matter how long and how strong the relationship may be, the discovery of an area of disagreement, if not quickly resolved will bring the relationship to a screeching halt. It will not be possible to continue with it until an agreement is reached on how to manage this new area of difference. That is why those who intend to have a long standing relationship will always be on the lookout for potential areas of difference which may have been missed or are developing newly, with a view, not to avoid it, but to quickly discuss it and agree on how it will be managed. The relationship of the Christian with the Almighty God cannot be treated differently.
Man may change in terms of their conduct but God in terms of his personality does not change. This attribute of God should make relationships with him very easy as long as one has properly informed him/her self of what His dos and don’ts are. Today’s scripture reveals some of those don’ts that will help ensure a long lasting and rewarding relationship with God, if avoided. It lists some of the character traits of man that the Almighty God hates. To hate something is to have an intense dislike for it. Seven of them as listed in today’s scripture are as follows:
1. Haughty eyes – Psa. 138:6. To have haughty eyes is to have a feeling of superiority or being arrogant. Such a person sees everyone as inferior in comparison to his/her person even when, in some instances, the reality may be completely opposite. It may not even be verbally expressed but the conduct of the person reveals the inner thoughts of arrogance and superiority. The writer of the book of Proverbs says the Almighty God intensely dislikes such character and the one with such should not expect to be recognised or loved by Him.
2. Lying tongue – Prov. 6:12-15; Ex. 20:16. To lie, in this instance, is to be deliberately untruthful, attempt to deceive and peddle falsehood. One who is involved in this act has the intention to establish unrighteousness and wickedness, two acts that God will never be comfortable with. This act of lying, being a product of a thought process indicates the type of spirit operating in the person. It can never be the Holy Spirit but more likely that a devlish spirit. No one with such spirit can be in a good relationship with God as that will be an attempt to unite light and darkness.
3. Hands that shed innocent blood – Ex. 20:13; Matt. 5:21-22. It is bad enough to commit murder but worse when the victim is innocent. To kill here may not be just a physical act but could be very much spiritual. There are many today who are living but dead because they have been murdered by negative and untrue words, and actions of these spiritual murderers. Such murderers may think that they have been successful since they were not associated with the travails of their living but dead victims, but the Almighty God is not deceived by the pretensions of such murderers. The only relationship that such a person can have with the Almighty God is that one similar to the relationship of God with Satan no matter how much claim to righteousness such may be making before men.
4. Heart that devises wicked schemes – Ps. 36:4; Micah 2:1; Prov. 6:14-15. This is a person whose thoughts are always focused on how to implement actions that are against the Will of God or aimed at hurting fellow human beings. Such an individual always has negative solutions to every situation and always provides wisdom in how such negative acts will be implemented. Such can never be in a positive relationship with the righteous God and any presentation to the contrary is an attempt at deceiving.
5. Feet that are quick to rush into evil – Prov. 1:16; Is. 59:7. No matter how an act may be needful, the thought that it is going to impact negatively on a fellow human being, or is going to be against the Will of God should restraint anyone who is in a true relationship with God from getting involved. One who has no reservations implementing such plans is definitely far from the Lord and such can never experience the goodness of God.
6. False witness who pours out lies – Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5, 9 . Two acts are involved here, the first been the act of confirming what is wrong to be right and vice-versa. The act of confirming what one is not a witness to. The implication of such act is that judgement is reversed with the person in the right presented as the wrong person and vice-versa. Such is an act that the Almighty God frowns at and will never condone. The second act is done, in an attempt to establish the first and it is equally, if not more negative skill on its own, which is the ability to manufacture and pour out lies. This is a gift that can only be bestowed by the father of lies and anyone who possesses such negative gift is a confirmed disciple of Satan
7. A person who stirs up conflict in the community – Prov. 16:28-30; Rom.16:17. There are some people, even amongst the brethren who feel uncomfortable when there seems to be peace. The only way they expend their extra energy is to generate dissentions and arguments. They are always aware of the kind of information that will trigger the anger of brother against brother and have no scruples availing such information to the potential victim with the expectation that such would react in a negative manner and bring unrest. Such people are not happy with a peaceful situation and cannot be in a good relationship with the Prince of Peace.
All the above the psalmist says, are detestable to the Almighty God, which is another word for hate. It implies that someone who is involved in these acts will be living in self deceit if he/she believes that he/she has a positive relationship with God, as that will be a lie from the pit of hell. Such may be very regular in church and may even be a strong supporter of God’s work in several ways but the bottom line remains that there is no shred of positivity in the relationship between the Almighty God and such a person. Such will definitely not be heard in prayer by the Almighty God despite all the physical activities that may make people rate such as “God-loving” or “God-fearing”. This will be due to these acts which though are mainly unseen but have defiled him/her and made such unworthy to come before the Lord. Remove these big wedges between yourself and the Almighty God today and you can begin to enjoy the reward of being in a relationship with a personality like Him. May God help you to do so on Jesus name. Amen.