But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. – 2Tim. 2:20 KJV
Please click the link above to download the full text of this Ministration.
Timothy was a teacher and a leader, even though he was quite young, in the Church in Ephesus. He had spent time with Paul on his second missionary journey and possibly the third but now was pastoring the Church in Ephesus. Paul had formed the habit of giving what seemed like continued education to his mentees one of whom was Timothy and his second letter was one of those in which he encouraged Pastor Timothy to remain faithful to all that he has learnt concerning the faith, especially in the face of obvious challenges – 2Tim. 1:3-18.
Realising that the work of the ministry will be very demanding and will require support of quality hands, he advised him as follows;
1. To remain strong in the Grace of his Call. There is indeed a Grace that comes with the package of being Called and that will always be required for success. This must be deployed as often as it may be needed -2Tim. 2:1.
2. He must learn to entrust what he has learnt to other men so that the workload for him can be lightened – 2Tim. 2:2
3. He must learn to endure hardship as that skill will definitely be required in the course of ministry journey – 2Tim. 2:3.
4. Like a soldier of Christ that he is, he must learn to focus on the issues of his Call and avoid distractions in the ministry that have nothing to do with his Call, so that all he wills to do is to please God and no other – 2Tim. 2:4-6.
In order to be in a position to achieve the above conditions, the Apostle Paul goes further to advise Timothy to lead by using his own conduct as the example. He must always show himself as an approved Workman by displaying the following qualities:
1. He must never be ashamed of whatever experience he may encounter in the course of the ministry duties, as long as it is for the reasons of the cross.
2. He must always be seen as one who handles correctly the Word of truth. To do that will mean to teach and give Spirit filled explanations to the words of the scriptures and this will only happen if he/she operates in the Spirit of God.
In the area of selecting co-workers who will ease the ministry workload, the Apostle Paul draws the attention of Timothy to the reality that not everyone who is called a Christian or gathered in Church can be of value to his ministry. In the foundation scripture for today’s devotion, he symbolised the people in a church with the objects in a large house saying that some have gold and silver value to be used for noble purposes while some have wood and clay value only fitting for ignoble roles – 2Tim. 2:20-21. It will all depend on how each individual decides to present him/her self. It is therefore important for him to be careful in his selection of team members, more specifically, to avoid the selection of men who are unnecessarily argumentative as it only ends up destroying rather than building the Church – 2Tim. 2:14; 23-24.
His team members and himself should avoid godless conversations as it will not serve the purpose of building anyone spiritually (2Tim. 2:16) and learn to flee from evil desires of youth by pursuing positive desires of righteousness, faith, love and peace – 2Tim. 2:22.
It is important for the Christian today to meditate on this advise on Call for Timothy. There is no doubt that all who are in Christendom have been called for one purpose or other. There is the need for assessment in order to decide how efficient one has been in the Call. Using the above parameters, there is no doubt that one can increase efficiency, either as a follower of as a leader. There will definitely come a day, when all actions have to be accounted for and rewards credited. What will be your reward? This is the time to think as tomorrow may be too late. Work to make your self an article of noble purpose before him as the alternatives will only be either burnt or broken. The bottom line is that it will amount to a loss. Do the needful now. May god help us to be if value for him in this life in Jesus name. Amen.