But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children; – Psa. 103:17 KJV
Please click on the link above to download the full text of this Ministration.
Psalm 103 in the Bible is a psalm that basically has the writer expressing gratitude to God for all the good things he can manage to recall. In the first seven verses of this psalm (verse 1-7), the writer wants his entire person to bless the Lord for all his benefits to him including forgiveness of his sins, healing, salvation and mercies. Also included in his reason for blessing the Lord is His constant provision for him and His righteous judgements – Psa. 103:1-7.
Most striking for the writer of this psalm is the merciful nature of God. Noting that the Lord is full of mercy, gracious and slow to anger, he adds that the Lord will not always chide neither will he keep his anger for ever – Psa. 103:8-9. The quality of the mercy that God displays is in the scripture today. The writer of the psalm says:
1. The mercy of the Lord runs from generation to generation.
2. His conferred righteousness is transferable from children to children.
Both promises are available for those who fear Him, keep his Covenants and operate in his commandments.
From the testimony of this writer, those who are enjoying God’s mercy receive instant forgiveness of sins which means that sin is not accounted against them. Sin can no longer hold them down and whatever the grip that sin may be capable of, they are exempted from such. That is definitely why those who are enjoying the mercy of God will also enjoy divine healing in all situations, medical or non-medical and automatic salvation. Businesses are healed just as broken relationships are also healed by God for those to whom he has shown mercy. Likewise, those who are enjoying the mercy of God are saved from whatever form of danger, physical or spiritual, that they may be facing or find themselves in. Constant provision by the Lord is also one of the benefits that those who are enjoying the mercy of God have, and so they do not lack. Above all is the life of a righteous person that they live because of mercy. They are presented in all situations as righteous people and so are equally accorded all the grace and honour that a righteous person is entitled to. They come across at all times like people who are perfect whilst the true situation is that the Almighty God constantly perfects all their imperfections.
All the above is the grace that the Christian should be enjoying as he/she is expected to be a beneficiary of the mercy of God. This however does not seem to be the case as the opposite of all the above is mostly the manifesting situation among Christian groups today. This no doubt indicates that the mercy of God is absent. Can the Almighty God then be said to be partial in the dispensing of this special grace? Definitely not! It is more likely to be the case of the Christian not living in it because he/she is ignorant of the grace available or is not meeting with the pre-requisite for enjoying such favour from the Lord.
The writer of today’s scripture says those who plan to enjoy the mercy of God will go beyond being nominal Christians. They will have to;
1. Fear Him. To fear the Almighty God is to avoid being involved in any situation that will make one incur His anger and wrath. This will only be possible if one knows and is current with His dos and don’ts. It will be impossible to know what he wants in all situations if an individual does not relate with His Word on regular basis or does not possess the Holy Spirit, to not only use to interpret the Words in the scriptures, but to also know His view on current situations so as to be able to walk in them. The Bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom – Prov. 9:10. Acquire wisdom for excellence today and your Christian life will be fruitful as it enjoys the mercy of God.
2. Keep his Covenants. Having related with the Lord through constant meditation in His Words and a good spiritual relationship through the Holy Spirit, it will be expected that the one who plans to enjoy the mercy of the Lord will keep all agreements made with Him, because He will not break any agreement made with Him. One who does not keep the agreements made with the Lord lacks integrity and credibility. Such will not even enjoy the confidence of men, more so that of the Almighty God. The one who intends to enjoy the mercy of God according to this writer, must be conscious of vows and agreements made with Him and abide in them. Whoever is going into an agreement with the Lord or making a vow must be sure that he/she is in a position to fulfil all that is promised. Non-fulfilment will incur his wrath rather than earn His mercy.
3. Operate in his commandments. To operate in the Commandments of God is to make those Commandments the guiding principle for all actions. The commandments of the Lord become the standard by which every action is measured before it is implemented by the individual. Whoever plans to also operate in the Commandments of the Lord must also know them and have a proper understanding of them. That will only be possible if the individual habitually dwells in the Word day and night – Josh. 1:8.
It is not enough to carry the tag of being a Christian if these three points are not strictly adhered to. Prayers will never earn you the mercy of God as it is a consequence of the actions of the Christian in the course of the relationship he/she has with the Lord based on these points. You should work to earn His mercy, not because of yourself alone, but because that may be the most valuable legacy you can leave for your children, since it can transcend generations once earned. May God help us to live our Christian life in a manner that will attract mercy in Jesus name. Amen.