24th May 2020
Sunday Word Ministration
Title: You Are Not A Gentile
Click the link above to download the full text of this Ministration
Bible Passage: Eph. 2: 11-13
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ
Who is a Gentile?
1. Either as the hebrew word “goyim” or the Latin word “gentilis” the word means “nation”.
2. Jews used it to refer to mon-Jews.
3. Bible also started using it for heathen, pagans, godless people.
4. Christians used it to refer to anyone who has not accepted Christ as Saviour.
What is the state of Christians today?
Christians should reject any treatment that presents as Gentiles.
1. Christians should reject discrimination (either being practised by them or being victim of such act based on any physical act that they may have done by those who believe they are clean. Discrimination means
a. To be treated unjustly – Mk. 12:5.
b. to be prejudiced – Rom. 14:4.
c. To be attended to based on a negative past – 2Cor. 5:17
d. To be treated differently on the grounds of race, age, or sex – Gal. 3:28.
e. Let the clean person cast the first stone – Jn. 8:7.
f. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God – Rom. 3:23.
g. No one is perfect – Matt. 5:48.
h. The Pharisee and the tax collector – Lk. 18: 9-14.
i. You will be judged with the same standard you used to judge others – Matt. 7:2
2. They were treated as foreigners in Christendom.
a. Foreigners lack citizens rights.
b. Limit to their freedom in the kingdom.
c. Constantly reminded of how they came into the kingdom.
d. They will always be second class citizens
3. They were treated as strangers to the covenant of promise.
a. What is the Covenant? Covenant, a binding promise of far-reaching importance in the relations between individuals, groups, and nations. It has social, legal, religious, and other aspects.
b. Which promise?
i. Promise through Abraham
ii. Promise through Noah
iii. Promise through Jesus Christ
c. Refuse to be a stranger to that promise. You are eligible once you believe.
4. They had no hope.
a. A feeling of expectation and desire for something to happen.
b. What is the hope of a Christian?
5. They were godless.
a. They were like orphans.
b. Exposed to danger and unprotected.
You Are Not A Gentile 2
1. Do not live any longer as Gentiles – vs. 17.
a. They are darkened in their understanding – vs. 18a
b. Separated from the life of God – vs. 18b
c. They lost senativity and given themselves to sensuality – vs. 19
2. You were
a. taught in him in accordance with the truth in Jesus – vs. 21
b. Taught with regard to your former way of life, put off your old self – vs. 22.
c. Be made new in the atritude of your mind – vs. 23.
d. Put on a new self to be like God in true righteousness and holiness – vs. 24.
e. Put off false hood and speak truth to neighbour – vs. 24.
f. Avoid sin in your anger – vs. 26
g. Do not allow the devil a foothold – vs. 27
h. Stop stealing if you are a thief – vs. 28
i. Avoid unwholesome talk but only what will build others – vs. 29
j. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit – vs. 30
k. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander along with malice – vs. 31.
l. Be kind, compassionate and forgiving of each other – vs. 32.
1. Live your life with confidence of who you are in Christ and not how people want you to view yourself.
2. Refuse to be boxed into a life dictated by men based on their desire for your life.
3. Be free in the Lord.
4. Sin tied you down but Jesus set you free and he whom the son of man has set free is free indeed – Jn. 8:36.
5. As much as you want to reject being tagged a Gentile, you also need to avoid behaving typical of a Gentile.